• European Noble and Private Col auction at Christies

    Sale 2835

    European Noble and Private Collections

    15 - 16 December 2009, Amsterdam

  • Lot 1

    An assorted lot of German and English silver and silver-plated objects

    19TH AND 20TH CENTURY

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    An assorted lot of German and English silver and silver-plated objects
    19th and 20th Century
    Comprising a crystal silver-mounted ewer and cover, engraved with monogram under Royal crown, mark of John Grinsell & Sons, London, 1902, crack; a photophrame, mark of JB Ltd, London, 1999; a tureen and cover and interior bowl, mark of Gebrüder Friedländer; a teapot, coffee-pot, milk-jug and sugar-bowl decorated with a medallion and floral scroll-work, stamped M800; a teapot and cover modelled with swirling flutes, maker's mark AM in square; a silver-plated sauce-boat on three feet, apparently unmarked; a basket with swing handle engraved to the exterior with monogram under Royal crown; and a small cigar-lighter and match-box enamelled with flag above K.Y.C. meteor (Kieler Yacht Club)
    4716 gr. (gross) (12)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    The small matchbox holder and cigar lighter are inset with the initials of the Kieler Yacht Club and Meteor, which was Emperor Wilhelm II's Yacht. Wilhelm II became the patron of the KYC in 1891 when the club changed its name to the Kaiserliche Yacht Club.

    Special Notice

    Christie’s charges a premium to the buyer on the Hammer Price of each lot sold at the following rates: 29.75% of the Hammer Price of each lot up to and including €20,000, plus 23.8% of the Hammer Price between €20,001 and €800.000, plus 14.28% of any amount in excess of €800.000. Buyer’s premium is calculated on the basis of each lot individually.


    Pre-Lot Text

    The Property of HRH Luise Princess of Prussia

    The death of HRH Princess Luise of Prussia on March 23, 2009, marked the end of an era within the Hohenzollern family. She was the last of the Hohenzollerns to have been born during the reign of Kaiser Wilhelm II. Even in her later years she still had vivid memories of her visits to him as a young woman. Princess Luise was related to virtually all of the royal houses of Europe.

    She was also the last member of the Prince Carl line of the Hohenzollerns, the descendants of the third son of King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia (1770-1840) and his wife Queen Luise (1776-1810). Queen Luise occupies a special place in Prussian history for having pleaded with Napoleon to spare Prussia from ruin. In 1824 Prince Carl acquired an estate in Glienicke, in what is now Berlin-Zehlendorf, which served as the family seat until 1918.

    Born in Haus Glienicke in 1917, Princess Luise was the only daughter of Prince Friedrich Sigismund of Prussia (1891-1927) and Princess Marie Luise zu Schaumburg-Lippe (1891-1938). At her baptism, she was given the name of her maternal grandmother, the Danish Princess Louise (1875-1906), daughter of King Frederik VIII.

    During her lifetime and well into old age, Princess Luise maintained strong ties to her Danish relatives and friends. Among her earliest memories was a visit made with her mother during the 1920s to the Czar's mother, Maria Feodorowna of Russia, who was living in exile in Denmark.

    Luise's great-aunt Charlotte, the sister of her maternal (Schaumburg-Lippe) grandfather became Queen of Württemberg. Queen Charlotte had no children and after she died she very generously left a great deal of her belongings to family members.

    After her father's death in 1927, Luise's mother moved with her two children, Princess Luise and her brother Prince Friedrich Karl (1919-2006), to Haus Lehnitzee in Neu Fahrland near Potsdam. Her health permitting, Princess Luise visited the Glienicke area of Berlin as often as possible, where she recalled having "the most beautiful memories of her childhood and youth".

    Princess Luise was married to Hans Reinhold from 1942 until 1949, with whom she had a son, Manfred. After fleeing Potsdam near the end of World War II, she and her son went to live in Schloss Nordkirchen as guests of Encar and Valerie, the Duke and Duchess of Arenberg. In 1958 they took up residence in the west wing of Schloss Bückeburg, owned by her Schaumburg relatives, and it was there that she lived until her death.

    AFTERNOON SESSION
    TUESDAY 15 DECEMBER 2009, 2.00 PM
    LOTS 1-218

    The Property of
    HRH Luise Princess of Prussia
    (Lots 1-66)