A pair of globes by the same maker with similar stands was sold Christie's South Kensington, 29 November 2000, lot 42.
This globe is a good example of the work of the Cary family firm of globe-making; the business was started by brothers John (c.1754-1835) and William (c.1760-1825) around 1791. Initially the company was based at 181 Strand; around 1821 it moved to 86 St James's Street. The name of the business at the Strand was changed to G. & J. Cary, after the sons of John Cary, George (d.1859) and John (1791-1852) took over the old premises. During the first half of the nineteenth century, the name of Cary enjoyed the lion's share of the English globe market. The firm was closed around 1850.