The distinguished French engineer and Academician Rigobert Bonne (1727-1795) achieved a considerable reputation as a cartographer, and it is his name that has been associated with the 6-, 8- and 12-inch globes rather than that of the engraver and publisher Jean Lattré (fl. 1722-1788), whose stock would later be purchased by Charles-François Delamarche. This present one-foot diameter terrestrial represents the first and largest appearance of Bonne's coartography on a globe. In 1775 the famed astronomer Joseph Jérôme le Français de Lalande (1732-1807) completed a complementary celestial globe, also engraved by Lattré, and the two were advertised as a pair in a pamphlet published by Lattré, entitled Nouveaux globes céleste et terrestre, d'un pied de diamètre, le céleste par M. de La Lande,... le terrestre par M. Bonne (Paris, 1775). Although Baie de l'Oiseau is marked with the date 16 January 1774, it was actually on the 6 January 1774 that Kerguelen officially took possession of the bay in the name of the King of France, in the course of his second voyage to the southern hemisphere.
The gold floral motif bears a similarity to those found on two Jean Fortin pocket globes held at Greenwich (GLB0031 & GLB0045) from the same period.