• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7598

    Russian Art

    11 June 2008, London, King Street

  • Lot 304

    An Imperial silver-gilt and cloisonné enamel icon


    Price Realised  


    An Imperial silver-gilt and cloisonné enamel icon
    Cyrillic mark for Ivan Alekseev, Moscow, 1896-1908
    Rectangular, naturalistically painted with the Mother of God and Child in the centre flanked by Saint Anthony and Saint Feodosii and Cherubim and Serafim in the upper corners and a pair of Cherubs beneath the throne, the basma and haloes of vari-coloured shaded cloisonné enamel with stylized flowers and rope-work detail marked on each side of the frame, the velvet backing with the Russian inscription 'From Metropolitan/Vladimir/Kiev, 1917.'; together with an icon depicting the Iverskaya Mother of God parcel-gilt oklad, Moscow, 1876, unrecorded maker's mark C.K., marked on halo, in an unglazed wood frame
    12¼ in. (31.5 cm.) high (2)

    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna (1882-1960) was the sister of the Emperor Nicholas II. She married first, Peter Alexandrovich, Grand Duke of Oldenburg whom she divorced and later married Nicholas A. Kulikovsky in 1916. After the Revolution she moved to Canada where she died in 1960.

    Metropolitan Vladimir (1848-1918) was born Basil Nikiforovich Bogoiavlenskii and studied at the Kiev Theological Academy before becoming a priest in 1882. He served in Novgorod, Samara, Stavropol and Georgia as Archbishop and was appointed Metropolitan of Moscow and Kolomna in 1898. In 1912 Metropolitan Vladimir took over the administration of the diocese of St. Petersburg, and was later transfered to Kiev where he remained until his death.

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Dowager Maria Feodorovna, a gift from Metropolitan Vladimir in 1917.
    Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna , her daughter.
    G. N. Kulikovsky, her son, who sold it in 1984 (as confirmed by his barrister J. K. Kerr QC in a letter dated Sept. 16, 1997, sold with this lot).
    Aquired from the previous owner.

    Saleroom Notice

    Please note the second, parcel-gilt icon in this lot depicts Iverskaya Mother of God and not as stated in the catalogue.