This celebrated table-pattern was almost certainly conceived by the marchand-mercier Dominique Daguerre. Almost exclusively executed by Adam Weisweiler (maître in 1778) and often inset with Wedgwood cameos to the top, the form is first depicted in a contemporary drawing now in the Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris. The latter is annotated 'les bronzes argentées S. Kawrovsky', and this presumably refers to Comte Skavronsky, who was the Russian Ambassador in Naples (P. Lemonnier, Weisweiler, Paris, 1983, p.90 and 97).
A Louis XVI gueridon of this form with Japanese lacquer top, illustrated in Le Meuble Leger en France, Paris, 1952, fig. 204, is subsequently illustrated in Partridge's Summer Exhibition Catalogue, 1974, no.15, p.40. A further table of this pattern, but inset Wedgwood plaques was sold by the Executors of the late Lady Magnus-Allcroft in these Rooms, 10 June 1993, lot 26.