• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 2811

    European Noble and Private Collections

    24 - 25 June 2008, Amsterdam

  • Lot 339

    FRANS ZWOLLO SR.

    A LARGE HAMMERED SILVER SERVING TRAY, 1917

    Price Realised  

    FRANS ZWOLLO SR.
    A LARGE HAMMERED SILVER SERVING TRAY, 1917
    the shaped border of the tray decorated with fish
    54 cm. x 75 cm.
    struck with artist's seal, yearcode for 1917, essaymark, artist's mark and engraved with family arms


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    The present tray formed part of the same service as the impressive candelabra. The border is decorated with fish, referring to the surname of the commissioner Mr. Dr. R.J. de Visser. In the 1982 catalogue on the travelling exhibition on Zwollo, the authors mention the original invoice of the service. In this invoice one can read that this large tray was priced at 1,200 NLG.

    Special Notice

    Christie’s charges a premium to the buyer on the Hammer Price of each lot sold at the following rates: 29.75% of the Hammer Price of each lot up to and including €20,000, plus 23.8% of the Hammer Price between €20,001 and €800.000, plus 14.28% of any amount in excess of €800.000. Buyer’s premium is calculated on the basis of each lot individually.


    Pre-Lot Text

    THE PROPERTY OF J.E. DE VISSER, HOORN (LOTS 218-343)


    Literature

    Exhib.cat., Frans Zwollo sr en zijn tijd, Museum Boymans-van Beuningen, Rotterdam, 1982, p. 71, ill. 49 for an overview of the larger part of the De Visser tableware, showing the present serving tray; and p. 114, no. 102

    H. Dommisse et.al., Klokken, zilver, sieraden, 1900-1930,
    Nederlands Goud- Zilver- en Klokkenmuseum, Schoonhoven, 1976, p. 21,
    ill. 64


    Exhibited

    Frans Zwollo sr en zijn tijd, exhibition Museum Boymans van Beuningen Rotterdam, Gemeentemuseum Arnhem and Karl Ernst Osthaus Museum, Hagen, 1982, no. 102