No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
This lot will be removed to an off-site warehouse at the close of business on the day of sale - 2 weeks free storage
The Sunday Sale - The Langford Hall Collection - Property of the late Mr & Mrs Patrick Radford.
Langford Hall is a fine example of the domestic architecture of John Carr (1723-1807), the pre-eminent architect in Yorkshire and the North of England in the Georgian period. His early career followed the conventions of the Palladian style and this was to inform the majority of his commissions for country houses for the Yorkshire gentry.
Characteristic features of Carr's architecture such as the Serlian window and the adoption of Vitruvian systems of proportion are extant at Langford despite the major adaptations to Carr's original design that were to follow in the history of the house.
Langford Hall dates to circa 1780 and was built for Charles Slingsby Duncombe, (1746-1803) whose son, Charles Duncombe (1764-1841) was created 1st Baron Feversham of Duncombe Park near Helmsley, North Yorkshire in 1826. Charles Duncombe was elected Member of Parliament for Shaftesbury in 1790, and married Lady Charlotte Legge, (d.1848), daughter of William Legge, 2nd Earl Dartmouth in 1795.
Langford was most likely conceived as a hunting lodge for the Duncombe family and remained in their hands until 1832 when it was sold to either the 6th or 7th Baron Middleton of Wollaton Park, who also owned Winthorpe Hall - a similar sized Georgian Manor House which bordered Langford's estate.
During the Second World War, both Langford and Winthorpe were requisitioned by the army and used by the Royal Army Service Corps Transport Division, for army vehicles and training. Langford was then used as a preparatory school before it was acquired by Patrick Radford and his wife Evelyn Wilkinson in 1968. During the course of the following two years, the Radfords applied for planning permission to demolish outbuildings beyond repair and the rear wings and restore the front portion of the Georgian house into a manageable sized family home.
Patrick Vaughan Radford was born in Nottingham in 1920. Educated in Oundle, he joined the family firm Stag Furniture as a cabinet maker, before enlisting in the Royal Armoured Corps in 1941. After attending Sandhurst he was commissioned, and from 1942 to 1946 served in the Derbyshire Yeomanry in North Africa, Italy and Austria. He was awarded an MC in Italy in 1944 for bravery in the North African and Italian campaigns.
After the war, Mr. Radford re-joined Stag Furniture as general manager and was made director in 1950. He served with the firm for 53 years and, as joint managing director, chairman and finally president, oversaw its growth to become one of the largest cabinet makers of bedroom and dining room furniture in Europe. Stag Furniture became a publicly owned company in 1976.
Having stood as the Conservative parliamentary candidate for Stockton-on-Tees in 1966 and 1970, he continued to work for the Conservative Party for many years. He was appointed CBE in 1983 and became a Deputy Lieutenant for Nottinghamshire in 1987.
Both Patrick and his wife Evelyn Wilkinson, whom he married in 1956, were fascinated by antiques and design and over the course of their lives together at Langford Hall, collected a variety of items that filled the Georgian house and family home. The couple opened one of the outbuildings on the estate as an antiques centre for a brief period, though were known to always keep their best finds.
Christie's are delighted to offer the Collection of the late Mr. & Mrs. Patrick Radford which includes furniture, works of art, pictures, silver, porcelain and fashion removed from Langford Hall, Nottinghamshire.