• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7542

    Icons and Artefacts from the Orthodox World

    26 November 2007, London, King Street

  • Lot 23

    THE POKROV

    RUSSIAN, THE PANEL SIGNED BY NIKOLAI APOLLONOVICH MAIKOV (1794-1873), THE OKLAD WITH MARK OF JOHAN KIEBEL, ST.PETERSBURG, 1853 (IMPERIAL MILITARY INSIGNIA)

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    THE POKROV
    RUSSIAN, THE PANEL SIGNED BY NIKOLAI APOLLONOVICH MAIKOV (1794-1873), THE OKLAD WITH MARK OF JOHAN KIEBEL, ST.PETERSBURG, 1853 (IMPERIAL MILITARY INSIGNIA)
    The upper part of the icon showing the open heavens, the Mother of God appearing on clouds, wearing a white headcover and a luminous halo, extending her veil to the congregation below, behind her rendered in grisaille the seated figures of Christ, God the Father, Moses, King David and other saints, the lower section showing the interior of a Church, to the left, in front of the Iconostasis's Royal Gate the Priest kneeling in Prayer, further back St. Romanos the Melodist chanting his Kontakia to the Mother of God, opposite St. Andrew the Fool for Christ, turning to his disciple, Epiphanios, and pointing up at the vision, in the background the imperial couple standing under a canopy and to the far left the believers, all worshipping the Mother of God; the icon executed realistically, with soft, pastel colours, signed at the left lower corner N. Maikov, set in a silver-gilt frame, decorated with applied floral scrolls and cherubs on the corners, the back covered in blue velvet, bearing a plate with a dedication, set in a brass and glazed frame
    14 x 11 3/8 in. (5.6 x 28.8 cm)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Pre-Lot Text

    THE FOLLOWING LOT WAS ORIGINALLY PRESENTED TO TSAR NICHOLAS I AND WAS KEPT IN THE IMPERIAL PALACE IN ST. PETERSBURG; IN 1914 IT WAS DONATED BY THE EMPRESS MARIA FYODOROVNA TO THE MILITARY HOSPITAL TRAIN N143