Provenant probablement des collections Impériales
Cette vasque se trouvait au château de Fall en Estonie, dans la Salle aux Portraits, ainsi que l'atteste l'inventaire de 1836 des collections des Princes Wolkonsky.
Elle fut offerte par le Tsar Nicolas Pavlovitch SAS le Prince (Grégoire) Wolkonsky avant d'être envoyée par ses descendants à l'ambassade d'Espagne à Stockholm en 1939.
Elle figura dans la vente de Sotheby's Monaco, 22 mai 1978, lot 151 (FRF 36,000).
This large vase was kept in the Fall castle, Estonia, in the Portraits Room, as stated in the 1836 inventory of the collections of Princes of Wolkonsky. It had been offered by Tsar Nicolas Pavlovitch to HSH Prince (Gregoire) Wolkonsky before being sent by his descendants in 1939 to the Spanish Embassy of Stockholm.
It was sold on May 22, 1978, Sotheby's Monaco, lot 151 (FRF 36,000).
Post Lot Text
A RUSSIAN REVNA JASPER TAZZA
Circa 1830-1840, attributed to the Imperial lapidary workshops at Kolyvan, the design possibly by Ivan Hallberg
Of monumental proportions and executed in three sections, the circular dish with rounded edge above a moulded and stepped border, the tapering body above a waisted ring-turned foot and square plinth, on a square stepped base
Probably the Imperial collections
Note This monumental tazza was almost certainly executed circa 1830-1840 at the Imperial lapidary workshops at Kolyvan, and was undoubtedly supplied to one of the Imperial residences. The workshops at Kolyvan were established in 1786, those at Peterhof and Ekaterinburg in 1721 and 1751 respectively. The present tazza is made from Revna jasper, a beautiful and rare grey and green-flecked jasper quarried not far from Kolyvan in the Ural mountains from 1789 and prized for its figuring and translucent characteristics. Under the supervision of master stone-cutters initially from Peterhof and later of F.V. Strijkov and M.S. Laulin, initially items of medium scale were executed at Kolyvan, but when new cutting skills were developed around 1830, also monumental objects were made, particularly for the vast halls of the Winter Palace and the New Hermitage. A large gadrooned vase in the Corner Drawing Room at Pavlovsk was also made from Revna jasper, which was designed by the architect Ivan Hallberg in 1830 but only dispatched from Kolyvan in 1849 (E. Ducamp, Pavlovsk, The Collections, Paris, 1993, pp. 201 and 207).