Hans Ludwig Larsen, Wassenaar (1892-1937), by 1935;
Loaned by Susanne Menzel Larsen (1911-2001) to the De Lakenhal Museum, Leiden, 6 July, 1939;
Confiscated by the German authorities following the occupation of The Netherlands, after May 1940;
Sale, Van Marle and Bignell, the Hague, 25 January, 1943, lot 70 as J. Vermeer van Haarlem;
J.D.C. Jansen, Den Haag, acquired at the above sale.
with Galerie Gerstenberger, Chemnitz, by 1944;
Acquired from the above for the Sonderauftrag, 21 March, 1944 (Linz no. 3429);
Recovered by the Monuments Fine Arts and Archives Section from the Salt Mines at Alt Aussee (Alt Aussee no. 4908);
and transferred to the Central Collecting Point, Munich, 15 October, 1945 (MCCP no. 9688);
Transferred to the Stichting Nederlandsch Kunstbezit, The Netherlands, 18 June, 1946 (NK 1451);
Restituted to the heirs of Hans Ludwig Larsen, 2014.
Please note this painting is unsigned.
PROPERTY RESTITUTED TO THE HEIRS OF HANS LUDWIG LARSEN
Old master paintings. An illustrated summary catalogue. Rijksdienst Beeldende Kunst/The Netherlandish Office for the Fine Arts, Zwolle and The Hague, 1992, p. 196, no. 1646, as Jan van der Meer II.
The Hague, Gemeentemuseum, Oude kunst uit Haagsch bezit, 12 December 1936-31 January 1937, no. 136, as Netherlandish Master, 1650.
Paris, Fondation Custodia, Collection Frits Lugt.