The chteau de Bellevue was originally created by Louis XV as an intimate retreat for himself and Madame de Pompadour. Work was commenced in 1748 by the architect Jean (II) Cailleteau, known as Lassurance (d.1755), Contrleur des Btiments du Roi since 1723, under the supervision of Ange-Jacques Gabriel (1698-1782) who had been made premier architecte du Roi in 1741. The work progressed rapidly and the king was able to stay there for the first time on 24 November, 1750. The chteau was lavishly decorated with sculptures by Jacques Verberckt and tienne-Maurice Falconet, along with paintings by Franois Boucher, Jean-Baptiste Oudry and Joseph Vernet, while Madame de Pompadour's bedroom, known as the chambre la turque showed a remarkably early use of Turkish motifs (see J-N. Ronfort, "Bellevue et le Secrtaire du Dauphin", Estampille/Objet d'Art, 1994, pp. 105-7).
The furniture for Madame de Pompadour was supplied largely through her favourite marchand mercier, Lazare Duvaux, the majority between 1751 and 1757. The encoignure is recorded in an inventory drawn up for the king in 1763 in the Etat Gnral des Meubles du Chteau de Bellevue as follows:
A commode by Nicolas-Jean Marchand supplied to Bellevue, with a similar combination of lozenge parquetry and sinuously cast mounts ornamented with flowers, was offered Etude Millon, Paris, 2 April 1997, lot 137.
Following Louis XV's death in 1775, the chteau passed to his daughters, the Mesdames Victoire, Adelade and Sophie. Shortly after the advent of the revolution, they left Bellevue for Italy in 1791 and in 1794 the Convention sold the contents of the chteau. It was then sold and subsequently partially destroyed in 1796.