Ermanno Nason, Venice, Italy
In the early 1950s a group of young, talented (and primarily Venetian) artists formed an association called Centro Studio Pittori in Murano where they aspired to realize their artistic visions in glass. With the assistance of the leading furnaces, as well as the support of the American patron, Peggy Guggenheim, the association invited an impressive group of cutting edge painters from around the world to participate in this exciting venture. By 1954 the group changed its name to Fucina Degli Angeli (Furnace of Angels) and artists such as Alexander Calder, Henry Moore, Marc Chagall, Jean Arp, Le Corbusier, Georges Braque and Pablo Picasso enthusiastically presented their drawings and projects to be produced in glass. The works were then executed by master glass blowers, including Aldo Bon, Albino Carrara, Luciano Ferro, Ermanno Nason and Archimede Seguso, and among the most sensational creations were the Portatrice D'Acqua (lot 11) and Il Centauro (lot 12).