Leader bought Burrows Cross House, on a ridge just south of the village of Gomshall, near Shere in Surrey, in 1889. It had been built by the architect Richard Norman Shaw RA, for the portrait painter, Frank Holl, as a country retreat and it had only just been completed when Holl died suddenly. The house was first depicted in The Silent Evening Hour, the artist's Royal Academy painting of 1890, no. 672, and it featured in many of his works until his death in 1923.
We are grateful to Ruth Wood for her help in the preparation of this catalogue entry.