Place Louis XV, later Place de la Concorde, was built at the behest of King Louis XV in 1750 to display an equestrian statue of himself. The commission was given to Bouchardon and the monumental bronze statue was to be placed on the King's property between the Tuileries and the Champs-Elysées. In 1755 the King approved Jacque-Ange Gabriel's project to develop the square around Bouchardon's sculpture. During the Revolution the statue was pulled down by the mob on 11 August 1792 and the name of the square changed to Place de la Révolution. King Louis XVI and Queen Marie-Antoinette were guillotined there a year later and in 1795 the square became Place de la Concorde.
A print after a picture by Demachy representing the erection of the King's statue on 19 February 1763 shows one of the buildings on the left, designed by Gabriel, still under construction. It was not completed until 1770, and so the present work must have been executed between 1770 and 1792, relatively late in Lallemand's career. The only topographical change introduced by the artist is the modification of the angle of Louis XV's statue so that it could be seen in full profile.