Please note the additional cataloguing for this lot:
with Dr. Benedict, Berlin, Berlin, by 1926.
On consignment from the above to Van Diemen Galleries, New York, by whom sold 14 December 1926 to
Hazkate Holding Corporation, New York, as 'Filippino Lippi' ($12,000). Sale; Kende Galleries of Gimbel Brothers, New York, 25 April 1945, as 'Filippino Lippi' ($1,400).
with Schoneman Galleries, New York, 1946, as 'Filippino Lippi', whence acquired by the family of the present owner.
(Possibly) A. Scharf, Filippino Lippi, Vienna, 1935, p. 119, no. 168, under works no longer attributed to Filippino Lippi with an attribution to the 'Master of San Miniato', following Federico Zeri.
Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1952, as 'Filippino Lippi'. St. John's Parish House, Washington, D.C., 13 November 1954-6 January 1955, no. 25 (?), as 'Filippino Lippi'.
Cambridge, The Fogg Art Museum, on loan by 1981.
Wilhelm von Bode considered the present work to be by Filippino Lippi. According to a document in the Frick Art Reference Library, the present painting was also catalogued by Dr. Richard Offner in 1928 as 'Florentine school, around 1480, under the general influence of Fra Filippo Lippi and of Botticini'.
Property of A NEW ENGLAND ESTATE