Max Bill (1908-1994) was a prominent Swiss artist, architect and designer, who studied at the Bauhaus in Dessau under the tutelage of famed artist such as Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee and Oskar Schlemmer between 1927 and 1929.
As an artist and designer, Bill was part of the ‘concrete art’ movement. The movement’s manifesto explains that its art must be wholly devoid of any naturalistic references from the visual world. ‘Concrete art’ was to emanate from the mind only and, as a result, most works are based on geometric patterns and imagery and mathematical equations often served as a starting point for their creation.
Bill is widely considered to be the single most pivotal influence on Swiss graphic design from the 1950s and his artwork was exhibited extensively in galleries and museums throughout Europe and America. In addition to his career as a practicing artist, Bill was also a professor and he wrote and lectured at length on art, architecture and design.
This lot appears in Claudio Bravo's painting Lingam, 1975 (E. J. Sullivan, Claudio Bravo, New York, 1985).