The world-famous topiary gardens of Levens were begun in 1694 and designed by Guillaume Beaumont who had trained uder André le Nôtre at Versailles. He also designed the topiary at Hampton Court. The gardens have remained essentially unchanged for over 300 years.
By 1892 when Elgood painted the gardens at Levens, the topiary remained virtually as it was first conceived, with the fantastic shapes in yew and box remaining. The present view shows flower beds of roses, white-flowering Dianthus and delphiniums set in the relief of the massive topiary. The wall in the background separates the garden from the parkland beyond.