FERNANDO BOTERO (B. 1932)
Man with Horse
sanguine on paper
15½ x 11½ in.
Executed in 2002.
Price realized: $93,750
New York – Christie’s online-only sale of Latin American Art totaled $1,362,125, marking the highest ever sale total for an online sale of Latin American Art. The sale was sold 92% by lot and 116% hammer above low estimate. The sale was led by two works on paper by Fernando Botero, Man with Horse, which sold for $93,750, and Still life, which achieved $62,500.
The sale established six new records for the below artists:
• Emilio Sánchez, Casa de esquina, $56,250
• Antonio Caro, Colombia, $18,750
• Cornelia Vargas, Untitled, $8,750
• Elizabeth Jobim, Untitled, $7,500
• Jorge Rodríguez Diez, Untitled (from the Mini Golf series), $5,250
• Carlos Alfonzo, Untitled, $17,500 – record for a work on paper by the artist
Founded in 1766, Christie’s is a world-leading art and luxury business with a physical presence in 46 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, Middle East, and Asia Pacific, and flagship international sales hubs in New York, London, Hong Kong, Paris and Geneva. Renowned and trusted for our expert live and online-only auctions, as well as bespoke Private Sales, Christie’s unparalleled network of specialists offers our clients a full portfolio of global services, including art appraisal, art financing, international real estate and education. Christie’s auctions span more than 80 art and luxury categories, at price points ranging from $500 to over $100 million. Christie’s has sold 8 of the 10 most important single-owner collections in history, achieved the world record price for an artwork at auction, launched the first fully on-chain auction platform dedicated to exceptional NFT art and manages an investment fund to support innovative startups in the art market. Christie’s is also committed to advancing responsible culture throughout its business and communities worldwide. To learn more, browse, bid, discover, and join us for the best of art and luxury at christies.com or by downloading Christie’s apps.
* Please note when quoting estimates above that other fees will apply in addition to the hammer price - see Section D of the Conditions of Sale at the back of the sale catalogue. *Estimates do not include buyer’s premium. Sales totals are hammer price plus buyer’s premium.