To download images and for further information visit: https://www.iksvphoto.com/album/bpsfq8
For further information and the estimates of the works please visit:
The Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts (İKSV), Turkey’s leading contemporary arts foundation, is preparing to launch the new İKSV Young Artists Fund. A selection of twenty-three artworks donated by established and emerging contemporary artists with connections to Turkey will be featured in the upcoming sales taking place at Christie’s in London, to benefit the fund. The works will be offered across two auctions in London, on Friday 14 October as part of Christie’s Post-War and Contemporary Art Day Sale as well as First Open: Post-War and Contemporary Art Online, live for bidding from 5 to 18 October at christies.com.
The sales at Christie’s will feature a record number of Turkish artists and with a large representation of cross-generational contemporary female artists. İKSV Young Artists Fund will receive 100% of proceeds of sale. For each artist’s work sold in the auction, İKSV will pay 25% of the proceeds from the Fund.
The initiative takes place hot on the heels of the opening of Istanbul Biennial, one of the flagship projects of İKSV, which they produce as well as the Istanbul Film, Theatre, Music and Jazz Festivals, bringing outstanding works of art and performances from around the world to audiences in Istanbul, as well as contributing to the development of young artists by establishing Istanbul as a major centre within the international cultural and arts community.
- New works created for Istanbul Calling by pioneering Turkish contemporary artists Rasim Aksan, Burçak Bingöl, Taner Ceylan, Ebru Döşekçi, Ahmet Doğu İpek, İhsan Oturmak, Yağız Özgen and Seçkin Pirim.
- Leading contemporary female artists with current and forthcoming exhibitions across UK and Europe coinciding with Istanbul Calling: Burçak Bingöl (on show at Tate St. Ives), Hera Büyüktaşçıyan (on show in Emmeshed, Tate Modern and Biennale Matter of Art Prague), Gözde İlkin (on show in Breaking Boundaries, super+Centercourt, Munich and Venice Stars Art and Embroidery, Bündner Kunstmuseum Chur, Switzerland). A solo show by Aslı Çavuşoğlu, TunState, will launch at Associazione Barriera, Turin on November 6 during Artissima.
- Internationally renowned artists who have had major exhibitions in Istanbul: Shirin Neshat (b. 1957 in Iran), Renée Levi ( 1960 in Istanbul, lives in Switzerland), Nasan Tur (b. 1974 in Germany).
- Two never-before-seen portraits of acclaimed writer James Baldwin and actress Gulriz Sururi by American artist Beauford Delaney (1901 – 1979), made during their time in Istanbul in the 80% of proceedsof sale of these two works by Beauford Delaney will be transferred to Association for the Support of Contemporary Living (ÇYDD) and the remaining 20% of proceeds will be contributed to the İKSV Young Artists Fund.
- Major works donated by internationally recognised Turkish artists: Mehmet Güleryüz, İrfan Önürmen, Azade Köker, and Kemal Seyhan.
- Contemporary ceramics by Alev Ebüzziya Siesbye and Elif Uras whose works are in the collections of prominent institutions, such as the V&A.
- First sculpture to be presented at auction by digital artist Refik Anadol created in collaboration with groundbreaking academic Gökhan S. Hotamışlıgil.
There will be a special exhibition of works to be sold as part of Istanbul Calling, open to the public at Christie’s from 24 to 28 September.
Bülent Eczacıbaşı, Chairperson of the Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts, said: “Turkey has a dynamic contemporary art scene that İKSV has nurtured for the past fifty years. Maintaining the continuity and creativity of this rich tradition must begin with young people, our most precious and powerful resource. The İKSV 50th Anniversary Young Artist Fund will enable the Foundation to continue its support of artists at the start of their careers, practicing across a wide range of disciplines within the visual arts, with new commissions, inclusion within İKSV festivals, and access to an international network of art professionals.”
Marie-Claire Thijsen, Junior Specialist, Post-War and Contemporary Art at Christie’s said: “Christie’s are delighted to collaborate with İKSV to raise funds for such an important initiative, one that supports young artists in their career. It is incredible to see so many artists contribute to Istanbul Calling, both established and emerging, and we look forward to showcasing the exhibition in the context of Frieze week, a moment when the international spotlight focuses on the London art world.”
Preview exhibition 24-28 September
Christie’s, 8 King Street, St James’s, London SW1Y 6QT
Saturday, 24 September and Sunday, 25 September, 12-5pm
Monday, 26 September, 9am-5pm & 6-9pm (Christie’s Lates for 60 Years of James Bond)
Tuesday 27 September and Wednesday 28 September, 9am-5pm
Istanbul Calling lots will be sold during Christie's Post-War and Contemporary Art Day Sale as well as First Open, their online-only auction.
Christie’s Post-War and Contemporary Art Day Sale, Friday 14 October 2022 at 1pm
First Open: Post-War and Contemporary Art Online, 4-18 October
For international media enquiries contact:
Jane Quinn/Daisy Taylor
Bolton & Quinn +44 (0)20 7221 5000
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts (İKSV)
Established in 1973 to organise a large international art festival in Istanbul, İKSV is a non-profit cultural institution working for the public interest. The Foundation has brought together artists and millions of art lovers from Turkey and all over the world in its festivals and biennials in the fields of contemporary and classical music, cinema, performing arts, contemporary art and design. İKSV, which is among the most rooted cultural institutions of our country with its fifty-year history, aims to enrich its cultural accumulation with various supports it provides to artists and creative professionals. It conducts research and prepares reports in order to contribute to the development of cultural policies. It conducts education, research and residency programs at home and abroad. It also contributes financially to the artists' production of new works through incentive awards and funds. For detailed information: iksv.org
Founded in 1766, Christie’s is a world-leading art and luxury business. Renowned and trusted for its expert live and online auctions, as well as its bespoke private sales, Christie’s offers a full portfolio of global services to its clients, including art appraisal, art financing, international real estate and education. Christie’s has a physical presence in 46 countries, throughout the Americas, Europe, Middle East, and Asia Pacific, with flagship international sales hubs in New York, London, Hong Kong, Paris and Geneva. It also is the only international auction house authorized to hold sales in mainland China (Shanghai).
Christie’s auctions span more than 80 art and luxury categories, at price points ranging from $200 to over $100 million. In recent years, Christie’s has achieved the world record price for an artwork at auction (Leonardo da Vinci’s Salvator Mundi, 2017), for a 20th century artwork (Andy Warhol’s Shot Sage Blue Marilyn, 2022) and for a work by a living artist (Jeff Koons’ Rabbit, 2019). Christie's is also recognised as a reference for prestigious single owner collections, having auctioned 8 of the 10 most important collections in history.
Christie’s Private Sales offers a seamless service for buying and selling art, jewellery and watches outside of the auction calendar, working exclusively with Christie’s specialists at a client’s individual pace.
Recent innovations at Christie’s include the groundbreaking sale of the first NFT for a digital work of art ever offered at a major auction house (Beeple’s Everydays, March 2021), with the unprecedented acceptance of cryptocurrency as a means of payment. As an industry leader in digital innovation, Christie’s also continues to pioneer new technologies that are redefining the business of art, including use of hologram technology to tour life-size 3D objects around the world, and the creation of viewing and bidding experiences that integrate augmented reality, global livestreaming, buy-now channels, and hybrid sales formats.
Christie’s is dedicated to advancing responsible culture throughout its business and communities worldwide, including achieving sustainability through net zero carbon emissions by 2030, and actively using its platform in the art world to amplify under-represented voices and support positive change.
Browse, bid, discover, and join us for the best of art and luxury at: www.christies.com or by downloading Christie’s apps. The COVID-related re-opening status of our global locations is available here.