Update as of 19 March 2020
Following Christie’s announcement on 13 March in response to the COVID-19 virus outbreak, the company has completed the first phase of a global review to revise the Spring and Summer auction schedule in the Americas and Europe. A summary of provisional key changes:
• In Hong Kong, the Spring Asian Art and Luxury sales currently remain scheduled to take place 30 May to 3 June
• We will be consolidating international 20th Century auctions into one week in one location, New York, scheduled to take place 23 to 28 June. Classic Week New York will run from 8 to 12 June
• In Geneva, the Luxury Week is scheduled to take place 29 June to 1 July
• In London, Classic week including Old Master Paintings and the Exceptional Sale will remain scheduled 6 to 17 July
Sale dates may be subject to change based on the relevant advice and the recommendations from the World Health Organization (WHO).
“Our first priority is to continue to act in the best interest of the community and our thoughts are with all those affected by the ongoing situation,” said Guillaume Cerutti, Chief Executive Officer, Christie’s. “Christie’s teams in the Americas, Europe and Asia are working remotely and resiliently to adapt to the environment, focusing on serving our clients and building successful sales for our auction, private and online channels.”
Christie’s continues to monitor all global developments related to the COVID-19 outbreak. We are grateful to our clients for their patience and understanding and we thank them for their continued business and support.
For the latest news and calendar updates please refer to Christie’s website. A full revised calendar covering all sales will be available online next week.
• In Asia, Christie’s Hong Kong office has returned to usual open business hours. Christie’s Beijing and Shanghai offices are operating with reduced staff on-site and remote working arrangements where necessary; the Seoul office is open with reduced hours and continued remote working arrangements for the interim; the Tokyo office is open with reduced staff on-site and limited hours. Christie’s Bangkok and Jakarta offices are open to clients by appointment only.
• As previously announced, all offices and sales sites in the Americas, Europe and Middle East remain closed as a precautionary measure, with all employee teams working remotely. Christie’s London is operating with minimal staff on-site and with all employees working remotely by 20 March.
• Please be assured that all locations worldwide continue to follow stringent protocols for safety and hygiene, in keeping with all international and local public health guidelines.
Spring Auction Week
30 May – 3 June
20th Century Week*
29 June-1 July
*combined New York and London sale hosted at Christie’s NY
Additional details about the spring season sales will follow in the coming days.
Christie’s is a name and place that speaks of extraordinary art, unparalleled service and international expertise. Founded in 1766 by James Christie, Christie's has conducted the greatest and most celebrated auctions through the centuries providing a popular showcase for the unique and the beautiful. Christie’s offers around 350 auctions annually in over 80 categories, including all areas of fine and decorative arts, jewellery, photographs, collectibles, wine, and more. Prices range from $200 to over $100 million. Christie’s also has a long and successful history conducting Private Sales for clients and online sales are offered year-round across all categories. Christie’s global presence is spread across a network of international salerooms and 61 representatives and offices. Christies.com provides detailed articles and videos on the objects offered for sale alongside the latest advances in digital viewing tools to make Christie’s accessible to all.
*Please note when quoting estimates above that other fees will apply in addition to the hammer price - see Section D of the Conditions of Sale at the back of the sale catalogue.
*Estimates do not include buyer’s premium. Sales totals are hammer price plus buyer’s premium and are reported net of applicable fees.