The architecture and the figures in the background follow the painting by Canaletto in the collection of Mrs Charles Wrightsman (W.G. Constable, Canaletto, 1962, no. 313, pl. 59). This originally formed part of the Harvey series of Canaletto views and an engraving of it by Visentini was published in 1742. The church in fact stands in a narrow campo, so Canaletto's painting is itself a capriccio. In the present work the capriccio element is developed further, with a typical Venetian waterfront included in the foreground.