Home page

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
Formerly of the William F. Harrah and John Mozart Collections
This lot has no reserve.
Formerly of the William F. Harrah and John Mozart Collections

Details
Formerly of the William F. Harrah and John Mozart Collections
1913 POPE-HARTFORD MODEL 29 60HP TWO PASSENGER ROADSTER
Chassis No. 1118
Engine No. 14115
Valencia orange with Armour yellow insets and belting, black fenders, chassis and running gear with black tufted long grain leather interior and a black long grain Panasote top
Engine: overhead valve six cylinder, cast in pairs, 60hp, 46 x 53/8 bore and stroke, 471ci.; Gearbox: cone clutch, selective sliding gear manual four speed with reverse; Suspension: semi-elliptic front leaf springs with Hartford shocks and rear three quarter elliptic leaf springs with Hartford shocks; Brakes: external contracting on rear wheels with internal expanding hand operated brake. Right hand drive.
By 1900 Colonel Alfred Augustus Pope had a booming bicycle manufacturing business, a serious economic investment in electric cars and the foresight to begin the process of modernized production that would predate General Motors to create the world's first automotive conglomerate. By 1906 Colonel Pope was master of five different individual separate lines of motor cars. They were the Pope-Robinson, the Pope-Toledo, the Pope-Tribune, the Pope-Waverley and the majestic Pope-Hartford. Unfortunately, Colonel Pope passed away in 1909 and was unable to see the mighty six cylinder motor cars that had been spawned his original two and four cylinder creations. His mark on the industry, however, had been clearly made and though the company would shut down by the close of 1914, it had created some of the finest motor cars of the period.
In 1913 Pope-Hartford offered three distinct lines of motor cars. These included a 40hp Model 31, a 50hp Model 33 and the impressive 60hp Model 29. The Model 31, first introduced in 1913, essentially became the entry level Pope-Hartford, while the successful Model 33 remained largely similar to the 1912 version and was the Connecticut-based company's largest and most reliable selling model. However, the Pope-Hartford six cylinder car represented the best the company had to offer. The Model 29s came well equipped and standard items included a Gray and Davis electric starter and a fully electric lighting system. Chassis construction was a double drop frame of chrome nickel and was heat treated steel that narrowed towards the front of the car. The long stroke, six cylinder engine provided serious power and was of the finest construction and utilized iron cylinders, cast in pairs and bolted to a lighter weight cast aluminum alloy case. Ignition was provided by a Bosch twin spark magneto, while lubrication was attained through both force feed and splash. Coachwork was provided by the company and in total six alternative body styles were offered. Choices included a Touring, Limousine, Landaulet, Berline, Phaeton and a Roadster body. Prices for the Model 29 Pope-Hartfords ranged from $4,250 to $6,000, which as one can imagine in 1913, was quite a substantial sum of money. Nevertheless, the cars were quite popular and with their distinctive radiator and hood shape they announced and reflected their owner's style, taste and overall knowledge of how a superior motor car should look and drive.
This 60hp Pope-Hartford was added to the Browning Collection in September of 1992. Prior to Mr. Browning's ownership the car was a renowned highlight within the Collection of noted motoring enthusiast, Mr. John Mozart. Mr. Mozart purchased the car several years earlier from the fabulous William F. Harrah Collection within which it had also been a noted highlight for nearly twenty years. The Pope-Hartford was purchased for the Harrah Collection in the early 1960s as internal Harrah documentation shows the car being researched as early as August of 1961. It is understood that the Pope was discovered in a New Jersey barn where it had remained in completely original condition for the bulk of its long life. Harrah records also indicate that the Model 29 Pope was in very complete and correct condition when they initially purchased the car. Notably, one of the Pope's only differences from the factory catalogue specifications was the altered door handles. Rather than mounted on the outside of the doors they were each set atop the doors. The overall condition and rarity of this fabulous car naturally dictated that it receive a world-renowned Harrah Gold Star restoration.
The research team at Harrah's began the exhaustive process of seeking the correct original and replacement parts that would be needed to return the car to its original glory. Records show that most of the replacement items needed were related to the electrical system, convertible top and tonneau cover as well as head, side and tail lamps. The only unrestorable items listed on the Harrah work order were the fenders, running boards and splash aprons. Spanning nearly a decade, the restoration was devoted to correctness and accordingly much attention was paid to the original factory specifications with the exception of the door handles, which were left atop the doors. All brass was properly renickeled and painted where appropriate. The body was finished in Valencia orange with Armour yellow inserts and belting. The fenders were finished in the correct black and new patent leather black splash aprons were fabricated for the car. A new Roadster top was fitted with the correct black Panasote material. The interior was completely refinished as original with black long grain tufted leather. The electric head, side and tail lamps are the correct Gray and Davis nickeled brass examples.
Shortly following completion of the restoration, the Pope-Hartford was debuted at the Hershey Concours d'Elegance in 1979 where it was awarded a National First Prize. In the years that followed the Pope remained on display at the Harrah Museum and was shown successfully at many events nationwide. With its motor serial number of 14115, it is very likely that this car was not actually first sold until 1914. Pope-Hartford history also indicates that no six cylinder cars were produced in 1914 and that 1913 Model 29s were discontinued from the production line that year. The overall condition of the Pope Six is quite excellent for a restoration completed over twenty years ago. The underbody is in tidy used condition, as are the engine bay and motor which are equally presentable. The Valencia orange paintwork is in exceptional condition and shows only minor scratches and chips in most of the higher stress areas. The black long grain tufted leather interior is in good overall condition. Instrumentation on the Pope includes an exciting 100mph Warner speedometer and a correct Gray and Davis ammeter. A replacement toolbox with original tools is fitted to the car, as are the correct Klaxon and double twist bulb horns.
This Pope Hartford is undoubtedly one of the most impressive, recognizable and beautiful examples of the marque. It is the only remaining six cylinder Model 29 Two-Passenger Roadster in existence and as the original factory catalogue proudly states: The Pope-Hartford Six is a car that combines in the highest degree, strength with lightness, speed and power with comfort and reliability and appeals with irresistable force to those who place quality above every other consideration.. Without a doubt, this 1913 Pope-Hartford is singularly one of the most significant motor cars of the period and would surely be a welcome addition at any concours or brass era car event throughout the world.

WITHOUT RESERVE

Special notice

This lot has no reserve.
;

More from EXCEPTIONAL MOTOR CARS FROM THE BROWNING ESTATE

View All
View All