The Property of THE ALEXANDRIA ASSOCIATION, Alexandria, Virginia for the benefit of The Endowment Fund
A PAIR OF GEORGE II WALNUT AND PARCEL-GILT LOOKING GLASSES

Details
A PAIR OF GEORGE II WALNUT AND PARCEL-GILT LOOKING GLASSES

Each with parcel-gilt decorated swan's neck pediment with rosette termini issuing foliate devices centering a gilt carved plinth surmounted by a gilded spreadwinged phoenix above an egg-and-dart gilt cornice over a rectangular gilded frame enclosing a conforming looking glass flanked by foliate-carved pendants enclosed by a carved and gilded surround--55½ x 37in.
(2)
Provenance
John Walton, Inc.

Exhibited
Alexandria, Virginia, The Alexandria Association, The Ballroom, Gadsby's Tavern, 1963-1993

Lot Essay

Gadsby's Tavern consists of two tavern buildings, the 1770 Georgian tavern and the 1792 City Tavern and Hotel. The buildings are named for John Gadsby who operated them from 1796 to 1808. During its early history, the tavern hosted many social events, dancing assemblies, theatrical and musical performances, and meetings of local organizations. The City Hotel ballroom was the site of celebratory balls in honor of George Washington's birth from 1796 to 1799. They attended these balls in 1798 and 1799. George and Martha Washington also celebrated July 4, 1793 by having dinner in the ballroom. It is also said that the Constitution was formulated at Gadsby's and its signing was celebrated there. Other prominent individuals who visited included John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and the Marquis de Lafayette.

The original woodwork of the ballroom where these mirrors hung was removed and reinstalled at the Metropolitan Museum where it may now be seen.

;

More from Important American Furniture, Folk Art and Decorative Arts

View All
View All