With their shield-backs and drapery-swagged urn splat, these chairs are based upon Plate IV of the 1794 edition of Hepplewhite's The Cabinet-Maker and Upholsterer's Guide. These chairs relate to a set of chairs owned by James Dana (1735-1812), minister of the Congregational Church in Wallingford, Connecticut from 1758 to 1789 (see Montgomery, American Furniture, The Federal Period (New York, 1966) p. 97, fig. 47). Another chair relating to the Dana set is illustrated in Sack, American Antiques from Israel Sack Collection, Vol. IX (1989): 2538, P6200. While the chairs from the Dana set have a triple arched crest, the set illustrated here have a true shield-back relating more closely to Hepplewhite's design.