Only a very limited number of silver objects which bear the marks of the town of Staveren have survived. Predominant among these are the beakers made by Jan Saagman. It is likely that Saagman was trained as a silversmith in Leeuwarden, where he was born in 1648. It is not known to whom he was apprenticed. In 1672 he became a master in Staveren. Ten years later he married Annatie Hendrickx de Lange. On the occasion of his fifth anniversary Saagman made a beaker engraved with both their names (Fries Museum, Leeuwarden). A second, similar beaker to the present example is in the Museum Boymans van Beuningen, Rotterdam (Frederiks, op. cit. nos. 323 and 325). In 1718 the couple moved to Jorwerd. Jan Saagman must have died before 1730, because in that year his widow is mentioned as the owner of the house Saagman bought in 1728. The known extant works by Saagman date between 1672 and 1693.