Upcoming Auctions and Events

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A WELL DETAILED BOARDROOM MODEL OF THE GENERAL CARGO STEAMER S.S. SUSSEX TRADER BUILT BY SIR JAMES LAING & SONS LTD, 1947
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more
A WELL DETAILED BOARDROOM MODEL OF THE GENERAL CARGO STEAMER S.S. SUSSEX TRADER BUILT BY SIR JAMES LAING & SONS LTD, 1947

Details
A WELL DETAILED BOARDROOM MODEL OF THE GENERAL CARGO STEAMER S.S. SUSSEX TRADER BUILT BY SIR JAMES LAING & SONS LTD, 1947
by McKenzie & Co, Glasgow with details including masts with radio aerial, halyards, derricks and rigging, anchors with chains and winches, fairleads, bollards, deckrails, ventilators, companionways, covered deck hatches, derrick winches, superstuctrue with bridge with helm and binnacle over, wing bridges, awning stanchions, four lifeboats in davits, stayed red and white funnel with insignia, safety valve extionsion pipe and hooter, aft emergency helm and binnacle and other details. The hull with bilge keels, four blade brass propeller and rudder, is mounted on four turned brass columns on display board with twin invorine engraved plates and makers plate within brass-bound glazed display case. Measurements overall -- 21½ x 59½in. (55 x 150cm.)
See illustration
Special Notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis

Lot Essay

The bulk grain carrier Sussex Trader was built by Sir J. Laing & Sons at Sunderland for the Trader Navigation Company of London in 1947. The new addition to the existing Trader Fleet of four vessels was registered in London at 4,221 tons gross (2,307 net & 3,685 under-deck) and measured 390½ feet in length with a 54½ foot beam. Powered by a 3-cylinder triple-expansion engine manufactured by the N.E. Marine Engine Company at Wallsend, her boilers were oil-fired and she had tank capacity for 852 tons of heavy fuel. After only seven years under Trader's colours, she was sold to the Malabar Steamship Company of Bombay in 1954, renamed Janani but remained in British registry. Re-registered under the Indian flag in 1957, she was sold for scrapping at Bombay in September 1963.
;

More from MARITIME (MARITIME MODELS)

View All
View All