Charles Goode, London.

A William III ebony three train quarter chiming table clock. Circa 1695/1700
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more The building of Croxteth Hall was started by Sir Richard Molyneux in 1575, but as the house stands today only two gables containing mullioned windows on the south side remain. The west front was built in 1702 by Richard Molyneux, the second Viscount, and the south and south east ranges were constructed in 1902/4. A notable feature of the contents of the house was the large amount of furniture supplied by W. Holland & Sons during the latter half of the 19th century. Hollands were one of the foremost cabinet makers in the country, they worked for Government departments and for the Royal family at Osbourne, Windsor, Buckingham Palace and Sandringham.
Charles Goode, London. A William III ebony three train quarter chiming table clock. Circa 1695/1700

Details
Charles Goode, London.

A William III ebony three train quarter chiming table clock. Circa 1695/1700
The case with a gilt-brass double-S form foliate-tied handle to the top with unusual multiple mouldings, ogee bolection-moulded front door with brass escutcheon, glazed sides with pierced ebony sound frets, squab feet, the 7 x 8 in. gilt-brass dial signed Chas. Goode London within a foliate engraved cartouche flanked by subsidiary rings for pendulum regulation and three-position strike selection, the silvered chapter ring with Roman and Arabic numerals with finely sculpted blued steel hands, matted centre with mock pendulum and calendar apertures, foliate spandrels, latches to the dial feet and to the six ringed pillars of the triple fusee movement with split front plate, quarter chiming on a nest of six bells with hour strike on a further bell, the verge escapement with steel spring-suspended pendulum with regulation bar atop the plates, the backplate profusely engraved with scrolling foliage within a wheatear engraved border, signed Cha. Goode, London within a foliate engraved cartouche
14¾ in. (37.5 cm.) high
Provenance
Christie's house sale, Croxteth Hall, 17 October, 1973, lot 93, bought by the present owner

Croxteth Hall was built in the 17th Century but the building of the west front was completed in 1702. It seems probable that the present clock was bought for the restored and re-decorated Croxteth Hall and remained there until the house sale in 1973. In the inventory of Croxteth Hall dated 1745 (Christie's house sale catalogue), there is a reference 'In my Lords room one spring clock'.
Special notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis

Lot Essay

ILLUSTRATED
Percy G. Dawson, C.B. Drover & D.W. Parkes, Early English Clocks, Antique Collectors' Club, 1982, pp.408-410, pls.580-583

Charles Goode is recorded as being made a Free Brother of the Clockmakers' Company in September 1686. In the Register of Apprentices he is only noted to have taken two apprentices; Mougham James and Lewen Bloomer. He is thought to have died in 1730. He is recorded in the Company Books as contesting a patent application by John Hutchinson, claiming that he had made a watch 14 years earlier to do the same as Hutchinson's, which was to wind it without an aperture in the case.

Not being a prolific clockmaker Goode's clocks do not appear at auction very often. But judging by the quality of the present clock he is however a maker deserving of more attention.

Three train clocks at this period were just begining to become fashionable. Hitherto such clocks required a complex system on countwheels with interconnecting levers. This was complicated, expensive and liable to go wrong, Joseph Knibb was perhaps the most famous exponent of the grande sonnerie or double-six system. The rack strike was a much more simple, reliable and adaptable system. The present clock was made within this pioneering period when the rack system began to be used. It is a particularly interesting example for many reasons but principally because Goode obviously recognised that the new rack system was ideal for quarter chiming clocks and this is one of the earliest of its type. It is discussed at length in Early English Clocks, op. cit.. Conversely split front plates were being phased out, presumably because the rack system meant there was more mechanical interaction on the front plate. This meant that split plates using latches were now more of a complication than the original intention which was simplification.

The case of Goode's clock is also most worthy of comment. The ogee bolection-moulded door is most uncommon and followed contemporary architectural mouldings, notably those used for architraves and particularly chimney pieces. The present clock also has an unusual layered and moulded top supporting a Quare-style double-S handle.

All of these unusual features make this clock a very interesting and rare example from a period of considerable change in English clockmaking.
;

More from MAGNIFICENT CLOCKS

View All
View All