A FRENCH ORMOLU-MOUNTED TULIPWOOD, AMARANTH, SYCAMORE AND PARQUETRY BUREAU A CYLINDRE
A FRENCH ORMOLU-MOUNTED TULIPWOOD, AMARANTH, SYCAMORE AND PARQUETRY BUREAU A CYLINDRE

PROBABLY CONSTRUCTED USING AN 18TH CENTURY CARCASE

Details
A FRENCH ORMOLU-MOUNTED TULIPWOOD, AMARANTH, SYCAMORE AND PARQUETRY BUREAU A CYLINDRE
PROBABLY CONSTRUCTED USING AN 18TH CENTURY CARCASE
Inlaid overall with flowerhead-filled trellis parquetry, the pierced three-quarter gallery above three short frieze drawers, and the roll-top enclosing a brown leather-lined writing-slide and six drawers, above three short frieze drawers and on fluted turned tapering legs with collars and terminating in ball toupie feet
45 in. (114 cm.) high, 37 in. (94 cm.) wide, 21 in. (54 cm.) deep

Lot Essay

The general form and marquetry of this bureau à cylindre relates to that of Jean-François Leleu (maître in 1764). Leleu supplied such a bureau to the Prince de Condé at Chantilly on 23 June 1779 for 1,600 livres, which was subsequently anonymously sold, Sotheby's, Monaco, 16 June 1990, lot 943. A further bureau à cylindre of that form and decoration from the collection of the Barons Nathaniel and Albert von Rothschild was sold Christie's, London, 8 July 1999, lot 206.

More from Segoura

View All
View All