Overview

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A PAIR OF ITALIAN WHITE MARBLE PEDESTALS
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more THE PROPERTY OF A LADY (LOTS 1100-1120)
A PAIR OF ITALIAN WHITE MARBLE PEDESTALS

ONE CONSTRUCTED IN THE 18TH CENTURY USING TWO ROMAN ELEMENTS, PROBABLY 1ST CENTURY A.D., THE OTHER LATER, AFTER THE ANTIQUE

Details
A PAIR OF ITALIAN WHITE MARBLE PEDESTALS
ONE CONSTRUCTED IN THE 18TH CENTURY USING TWO ROMAN ELEMENTS, PROBABLY 1ST CENTURY A.D., THE OTHER LATER, AFTER THE ANTIQUE
Each with a triangular canted base, two sides with floral and foliate ornaments and one side with a sunk panel of an Oinochoe, a Phiale and a Ladle, within a water-leaf border and surmounted by a tablet inscribed D.M.S. C. PVLLIVS EVTYCHES FAL. MAXIMO, and surrounded by foliate and floral bands, below a floral-scroll and a middle section of three reclining sphinxes supporting a triangular plinth with two sides with dancing maenads and one side with a dancing satyr, below acanthus foliage supporting a turned spirally-fluted and foliate shaft with foliate pine cone-shaped finial, the spirally-fluted element of the finial and the pictorial triangular plinth element probably 1st Century A.D.
104 in. (264 cm.) high; 23½ (59.5 cm.) diam. (2)
Provenance
The Mermaid House Collection; Christie's, London, 12 November 1998, lot 258.
Supplied by Chester Jones for the Hall at Culham Court, circa 1999.
Special Notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.

Lot Essay

These pedestals, each with composite bacchic pillar, thyrsus-finial and tripod-altar plinth, are composed in the Roman mid-l8th century antique fashion popularised by antiquarians: They relate to marble altars and candelabra featured in G. B.Piranesi's Vasi, candelabri, cippi, sarcophagi, tripodi, lucerne ed ornamenti antichi, Rome, 1778; and H. Moses, A Collection of Antique Vases, Altars, Paterae, Tripods, Candelabra, Sarcophagi etc., London, 1814 . Related candelabra were acquired around 1800 by the connoisseur Thomas Hope (d.1842) (see G.B.Waywell, The Lever and Hope Sculptures, Berlin, 1986, nos. 8 and ll).
A related tripod features in the 1794 watercolour of the Park Street collection of the connoisseur Charles Townley (K. Sloan ed., Enlightenment, 2003, fig. 162). Related antique fragments collected in Rome in the 1790s by the architect C.H. Tatham are now in the Sir John Soane's Museum, London (P. Thornton and H. Dory, Sir John Soane's Museum, London, 1992, fig. 16).

More from English and Continental Furniture

View All
View All