These ewers are based on an original model by John Flaxman Sr., father of the celebrated artist. The model, in plaster, was supplied to Josiah Wedgwood in March 1775 and is still in the Wedgwood Musuem, Barlaston (D.Bindman, ed., John Flaxman 1979, p.50, nos. 19a and 19b). Flaxman's model was based on Sigisbert Frangois Michel's (1728 - 1811) original ewers. In 1774, Michel exhibited a pair of plaster ewers sumounted by a triton and a satyr in the Acadimie de Saint-Luc, Paris.