ALOIS GUSTAV ROCKSTUHL (RUSSIAN, 1798-1877)
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more
ALOIS GUSTAV ROCKSTUHL (RUSSIAN, 1798-1877)

General Fedor Petrovich Uvarov (1769-1824), in scarlet coat with silver-embroidered blue collar and silver epaulettes and lacing, wearing the breast-star and badge of the Imperial Russian Military Order of St. George and other decorations including the breast-stars of the Imperial Russian Orders of Sts. Alexander Nevskii and Vladimir, the Imperial Russian 1812 Campaign Medal, the badges of the Imperial Austrian Military Order of Maria Theresa and the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword

Details
ALOIS GUSTAV ROCKSTUHL (RUSSIAN, 1798-1877)
General Fedor Petrovich Uvarov (1769-1824), in scarlet coat with silver-embroidered blue collar and silver epaulettes and lacing, wearing the breast-star and badge of the Imperial Russian Military Order of St. George and other decorations including the breast-stars of the Imperial Russian Orders of Sts. Alexander Nevskii and Vladimir, the Imperial Russian 1812 Campaign Medal, the badges of the Imperial Austrian Military Order of Maria Theresa and the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword
with the artist's trade label in Russian, German and French on the reverse
on paper
oval, 5 7/16 in. (138 mm.) high, silver frame with glazed reverse
Special notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.

Lot Essay

Prince Fedor Petrovich Uvarov was a favourite of Tsar Paul who awarded him in 1799 the order of St. Anne, first class, however he took part in the conspiracy to remove him from the throne in 1801. He was an intimate friend of Alexander I and won the order of St. George at Austerlitz. Another miniature of the sitter, after Jean-Baptiste Isabey as the present portrait, was sold Sotheby's, London, 14 December 1995, lot 75, and a further version, mis-identifying the sitter as Count Karl von Alton, was sold Sotheby's, Geneva, 17 May 1984, lot 138.
The trade label on the reverse gives the artist's address in St. Petersburg as the Great Stables Street, House of Sts. Peter's and Paul's Church no. 24 and states that the entrance is next to the wine cellar.
;

More from Important Portrait Miniatures and Gold Boxes

View All
View All