Giacomo Guardi (Venice 1764-1835)
Giacomo Guardi (Venice 1764-1835)

A view of the church SS. Giovanni e Paolo and the Scuola San Marco, Venice

Details
Giacomo Guardi (Venice 1764-1835)
A view of the church SS. Giovanni e Paolo and the Scuola San Marco, Venice
signed and inscribed 'Giacomo de Guardi/Veduta del Camp di San Gion e Paolo' (verso)
bodycolor
4 1/8 x 6½ in. (104 x 166 mm.)

Lot Essay

The Dominican Church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo was first established in the 13th Century and the current building was begun in 1333. It contains frescoes by Paolo Veronese including The Assumption, The Annunciation and The Adoration of the Magi on the ceiling of the Capella del Rosario and The Adoration of the Shepherds on the chapel's walls. From the 15th Century the funerals of the Doges of Venice have been held at the church.
;

More from Old Master and 19th Century Drawings

View All
View All