Born in the Kingdom of Lombardy, Venice, in 1817, Paul Sormani produced standard and fantasy furniture, described by himself as "meubles de luxe". Operating from large premises at 114, rue du Temple and, from 1867, at 10, rue Charlot, he specialised in reproducing styles of the Louis XV and XVI eras and his work was thought to reveal "une qualité d'exécution de tout premier ordre". His creations were frequently exhibited and rewarded at the major international exhibitions of the 1860s and 70s. On his death in 1877, the firm was renamed 'Veuve Paul Sormani & Fils' as it was taken over by his widow, Ursule-Marie-Philippine Bouvaist, and their son, Paul-Charles Sormani. After merging with Thiébaut Frères in 1914 it moved to 134, Boulevard Haussmann where it remained until it ceased trading in 1934.