This pair of wall-lights, of impressive size and weight, relate closely to an important series of wall-lights by the master bronzier Philippe Caffiéri, and commissioned for the Royal Castle at Warsaw in 1768 (see H. Ottomeyer and P. Pröschel, Vergoldete Bronzen: Die bronzearbeiten des Spätbarock und Klassizismus, Munich, 1986, pp. 557-558). Originally part of a group of twelve, with nine still remaining in Warsaw, they formed part of the decoration of the celebrated 'Marble Salon'. There is both a signed pen and ink drawing by Caffiéri of the wall-lights as well as a later watercolor sketch of the Royal Palace which further confirm their attribution to Cafféri and their important part of the Royal Palace's decoration. The present wall-lights are clearly after Caffiéri but with minor differences -- suggesting the designer of the present pair was, if not Caffiéri himself, then he was certainly a Parisian colleague well-aware of his model.