Bartolomeo Terchi was born in Rome in 1691. At the age of twenty-three he went to San Quirico d'Orcia where he was employed at the pottery belonging to the Chigi Zondadari family. He left in 1724 and by 1725 he was established in Siena where he remained until 1735 when he moved to Bassano di Sutri in Lazio. He returned to Rome in 1753 and died between 1767 and 1768.
For two vases of the same form with almost identical moulded and gilt ornament (though with differing covers) from the Collezione Banco di Roma, see Elena Pelizzoni and Giovanna Zanchi, La maiolica dei Terchi, Florence, 1982, p. 45, nos. 23 and 24, and no. 19 for another similar example also painted with soldiers unloading a boat.