This bookcase corresponds closely to several drawings for bookcases in the Gillow's Estimate Sketchbooks, most closely perhaps to the a design dated 12 November 1805 for Henry Sudell Esq. of Woodfold Park, Lancashire, for a breakfront bookcase which includes the same recessed corner pilasters and the same design of applied panel as employed to the doors to the base of this bookcase, it is also closely related to a drawing of 22 December 1808, no. 1851, for a bookcase which again employs the same recessed corner pilasters and a very similar cornice moulding. The latter bookcase was commissioned by Thomas Standish for Standish Hall, near Wigan, Lancashire and is now in the collection at The Judge's Lodgings, Lancaster, see, NACF Review, 1991, p.184. This type of tapering recessed corner pilaster and applied looped panel (in combination with fine figured mahogany and superb craftsmanship) is typical of the Gillow's output during the opening years of the 19th century, and these features are prominent amongst one of the firm's most significant commissions from that date, that from Wilbraham Egerton (1781-1856) for Tatton Park, Cheshire. The Tatton furniture was largely supplied circa 1811-12 for Egerton's Samuel Wyatt designed mansion and the collection of furniture remains in situ in the care of the National Trust (see, N. Goodison & J. Hardy, Gillows at Tatton Park, circa 1970).