Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
Patek Philippe. A Fine and Rare 18k Gold Wristwatch with Indirect Center Seconds
Patek Philippe. A Fine and Rare 18k Gold Wristwatch with Indirect Center Seconds

SIGNED PATEK PHILIPPE & CO., GENÈVE, REF. 565, MOVEMENT NO. 864'797, CASE NO. 644'571, MANUFACTURED IN 1946

Details
Patek Philippe. A Fine and Rare 18k Gold Wristwatch with Indirect Center Seconds
Signed Patek Philippe & Co., Genève, Ref. 565, Movement No. 864'797, Case No. 644'571, Manufactured in 1946
Cal. 12 SC mechanical movement, 20 jewels, metal dust cover, silvered matte dial, applied gold baton and Arabic numerals, outer minute divisions, indirect center seconds, circular water-resistant-type case, screw down case back engraved To R.S. Hulbert, President, C.D.G.A. 1946-1947, 18k gold Patek Philippe buckle, case, dial, and movement signed
34.5mm diam.

Condition report

If you wish to view the condition report of this lot, please sign in to your account.

Sign in
View condition report

Lot Essay

With Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch in 1946 and its subsequent sale on August 14th of the following year.

Reference 565 was launched in 1938 as Patek Philippe's first large waterproof watch. The first waterproof watch with a screw back was the reference 438, launched in 1935, but was a much smaller size. Reference 565 featured the caliber 12'120, and by 1950 featured a new caliber, 12'400. In 1939 the model was also produced with a sweep center seconds version, with the caliber 12 SC, until 1949 when it was replaced with the caliber 27 SC. Cases were made by Taubert, a company that specialized in waterproof cases. The model was cased in yellow gold, pink gold, and stainless steel, and was for a period of time the least expensive watch listed by the company. In 1952 the model was replaced with the reference 2532.

The present watch features an interesting engraving on the back, indicating the watch was presented to Robert S. Hulbert, the president of the Chicago District G.A. from 1946-1947. The Chicago District Golf Association is a non-profit association of member clubs and individual golfers in Illinois, and parts of Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan. It was founded in 1914 to promote amateur golf in the midwest, and today is one of the largest and oldest golf associations in the United States.

In the late 1940's, the C.D.G.A. actively contributed to Chicago's war relief organizations during World War II. In 1943 the association contributed $10,848 and in 1944 contributed $15,319. A newspaper article from 1945 shows the Mayor of Chicago at the time, Edward Kelly, accepting a check from member of the C.D.G.A., including Mr. Hulbert.

The present example of a Patek Philippe reference 565 is a wonderfully aged specimen, with a very interesting provenance and ties to American history and sportsmanship.

To the best of our knowledge this watch has never before been offered in public.

More from Important Watches

View All
View All