A MAMLUK-STYLE ENAMELED AND GILT BLUE GLASS MOSQUE LAMP
FROM THE COLLECTION OF BARON ALPHONSE DE ROTHSCHILD (1827-1905)
A MAMLUK-STYLE ENAMELED AND GILT BLUE GLASS MOSQUE LAMP

SECOND HALF 19TH CENTURY, ALMOST CERTAINLY FROM A PARISIAN WORKSHOP

Details
A MAMLUK-STYLE ENAMELED AND GILT BLUE GLASS MOSQUE LAMP
Second half 19th Century, almost certainly from a Parisian workshop
Of typical form decorated throughout with enamels and gilding, the flaring trumpet mouth with a wide band of naskh inscription interrupted by shield-shaped panels and flanked by narrower ribbons of meandering vine on a green enamel ground and further bands of gilt strap work, the sloping upper shoulder with alternating green and blue triangular panels of scrolling interlace and floral motifs, the bulbous body with three applied loop handles interrupting the wide band of gilt naskh benedictory inscription on a ground of polychrome scrolling vine, concentric bands of gilt geometric interlaced strap work, green ground meandering leafy vine, and gilt foliate scrolls below, on a short foot
10 in. (25.5 cm.) high
Provenance
Baron Alphonse de Rothschild (1827-1905), Paris.
Baron Edouard de Rothschild (1868-1949), Paris.
Confiscated from the above following the Nazi occupation of Paris by the Einsatzstab Reichsleiter Rosenberg after May 1940 and transferred to the Jeu de Paume (ERR no. R 2673).
Transferred to Schloss Kogl, Attergau.
Recovered by the Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives Section from the ‘Lager Pater’ salt mines, Alt Aussee, and transferred to the Central Collecting Point, Munich, June 20, 1945 (MCCP no.203/4).
Repatriated to France July 31, 1946 and restituted to the Rothschild Collection.
Baroness Batsheva de Rothschild (1914-99), Tel Aviv.
The Collection of The Late Baroness Batsheva de Rothschild; Christie's, London, 14 December 2000, Sale 6407, lot 11.
Literature
C. J. Lamm, Mittelalterliche Gläser und Steinschnittarbeiten aus dem Nahen Osten, Berlin, 1929-30, Vol. I, p. 433, no. 23, Vol. II pl. 190.7.
G. Wiet, Catalogue général du musée arabe du Caire, Lampes et bouteilles en verre émaillé, Cairo, 1929, p. 162, no. 40.
Exhibited
Paris, Musée des arts décoratifs, G. Migeon, Exposition des arts musulmans, 1903, illustrated in the Album, pl. 65 (left), 'Syria XIV-XV century'.

Brought to you by

Becky MacGuire
Becky MacGuire

Check the condition report or get in touch for additional information about this

If you wish to view the condition report of this lot, please sign in to your account.

Sign in
View condition report

Lot Essay

Both main inscriptions around the body and mouth read:
'izz li-mawlana al-sultan al-malik al-'alim al-'ad- il al-malik al-nasir (glory to our lord, the sultan, the king, the wise, the just, al-Malik al-Nasir). The inscriptions in the shield-motifs around the mouth contain repetitions of the word al-'alim (the wise).

See G. Schmoranz, Old oriental gilt and enamelled glass vessels, English Version, Vienna and London, 1899, pl. XXVIII for another blue glass lamp with notably spherical body, formerly in the Mannheim Collection, Paris, and now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York [Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917, 17.190.986]. The links in design of the Metropolitan museum’s blue Manheim/Morgan lamp with the present example and the previous lot indicate that all three were the product of the same manufactory in Paris. Please see also the note to Lot 33.

More from Exceptional Sale

View All
View All