Based on the success of the "Chronomat", Breitling and the AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association) decided to develop a revolutionary watch featuring a chronograph and navigation tool, the slide rule, allowing pilots and navigators the easy calculation of remaining distances, fuel consumption etc. The name was a combination of the words Navigation & Timer and the model was available as of 1954 when the "Navitimer" became the official watch of the AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association) and the "wing" logo of the association was added to the dial instead of the Breitling "B". The first models did not have a reference number but only the engraved inscription "Breitling" and logo "B" engraved on the back. In 1955, reference number 806 was assigned and the Valjoux calibre 72 was exchanged against the Venus 178. The dial, including the subsidiary dials, was all black, the bezel was named "beads of rice" because of its shape. The "Navitimer" remained in production with this configuration until the early 1960s.