Charles-Amédée-Philippe (“Amédée”) Van Loo, son of Jean-Baptiste Van Loo (1684-1745), was born into a dynasty of painters who were active throughout Europe for more than two centuries. He was trained in his father’s studio, and raised in Italy, southern France, and Paris, where he won the Prix de Rome in 1738. In 1748 he became Court Painter to Frederick II “the Great” in Berlin, and he stayed in Germany until 1758, when the Prussian Monarch gave him permission to return to France as long as the Seven Years war lasted. By 25 August 1763 he was again in Berlin working for Frederick and his court. After his definitive return to Paris in 1769, Amédée Van Loo continued to receive an annual pension from Frederick. He exhibited regularly in the Salons until his death.