LUCA CARLEVARIJS (UDINE 1663-1730 VENISE)
LUCA CARLEVARIJS (UDINE 1663-1730 VENISE)
1 More
LUCA CARLEVARIJS (UDINE 1663-1730 VENISE)

L'Église San Antonio di Castello à Venise

Details
LUCA CARLEVARIJS (UDINE 1663-1730 VENISE)
L'Église San Antonio di Castello à Venise
pierre noire, plume et encre brune, lavis gris
19,5 x 29,9 cm. (7 5/8 x 11 ¾ in.)
Provenance
John Strange ; Christie's, Londres, 4 mars 1800.
Vente anonyme ; Christie's, Paris, 21 mars 2002, lot 78.
Literature
A. Rizzi, Luca Carlevarijs, Venise, 1967, p. 99 (comme perdue).
Post lot text
LUCA CARLEVARIS, THE CHURCH OF SAN ANTONIO DI CASTELLO, VENICE,
BLACK CHALK, PEN AND BROWN INK, GREY WASH
This detailed study was made for the etching in the same direction from the series La fabriche e vedute di Venetia, engraved by the artist and published by Giovanni Battista Finazzi in Venice in 1703 (fig. 1). Dedicated to Doge Alvise Mocenigo, the publication contains 104 views of the most prominent buildings and sites in Venice and is generally considered one of Carlevarijs’ most important early achievements as a vedutista. The series, intended primarily as a visual record for Grand Tourists, later became a model for the likes of Canaletto, Antonio Visentini and Michele Marieschi.

Many drawings from the series have survived, 86 of which were acquired in 1866 by the British Museum as works by Canaletto (inv. 1886.1012.596.1-1886.1012.596.86). A drawing from the series showing the Palazzo Grimani is in the Tobey collection in New York (L. Wolk-Simon in An Italian Journey. Drawings from the Tobey Collection. Correggio to Tiepolo, exhib. cat., New York, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2010, no. 62, ill.). The present sheet, corresponding to plate 25 in the 1703 publication, shows the fourteenth-century church of San Antonio di Castello, demolished in 1810 by order of Napoleon in 1810.

Fig. 1. Luca Carlevarijs, The church of San Antonio di Castello in Venice, etching. British Museum, London

Brought to you by

Hélène Rihal
Hélène Rihal

Lot Essay

Cette étude détaillée est préparatoire à une eau-forte dans le même sens appartenant à la série des Fabriche e vedute di Venetia, gravée par l’artiste et publiée par Giovanni Battista Finazzi à Venise en 1703 (fig.). Dédicacé au doge Alvise Mocenigo, la publication contient 104 vues des monuments et des lieux les importants de Venise et est considéré comme l’une des premières œuvres les plus importantes de l’artiste en tant que vedutista. Cette série, initialement conçue comme un livre de souvenirs pour les voyageurs du Grand Tour, deviendra plus tardivement une source d’inspiration pour des artistes comme Canaletto, Antonio Visentini ou encore Michele Marieschi.

Plusieurs dessins de cette série ont survécu, 86 d’entre eux ont été acquis en 1866 par le British Museum comme de Canaletto (inv. 1886.1012.596.1-1886.1012.596.86). Un dessin de cette série représentant le Palazzo Grimani est aujourd’hui dans la collection Tobey à New York (L. Wolk-Simon in An Italian Journey. Drawings from the Tobey Collection. Correggio to Tiepolo, cat. exp., New York, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2010, no. 62, ill.). La présente feuille, correspondant à la planche 25 de la publication de 1703, illustre l’église San Antonio di Castello du XIVe siècle, qui fut détruite en 1810, sur ordre de Napoléon.

Fig. Luca Carlevarijs, L'Église San Antonio di Castello à Venise, eau-forte, British Museum, Londres.
;

Related Articles

View all
Royal and imperial treasures:  auction at Christies
Roald Amundsen and the flag he auction at Christies
Fresh finds at First Open: 5 a auction at Christies

More from Dessins Anciens et du XIXème siècle

View All
View All