Cowell & Hubbard Co., Cleveland, Ohio
Cowell & Hubbard Co. was one of Patek Philippe’s most important American accounts in the late 19th century. Respected as being close in stature to New York City’s Tiffany & Co., Cowell & Hubbard was the Mid-West’s leading supplier of luxury goods to a growing affluent population obsessed with owning the best. The firm started in 1861 and remained in business until 1964 when Philadelphia’s leading jeweler Bailey, Banks & Biddle bought a controlling interest in the store. The name Cowell & Hubbard lived on until 1981 when their downtown flagship store was closed.