Charles ‘Beau’ Colyear, 2nd Earl of Portmore, was a Whig politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1726 and 1730. In 1739 he served as a founding Governor of the Foundling Hospital, a charity dedicated to the salvation of abandoned children. Master of Horse to King George II and a leading racehorse owner, he was a key patron of Seymour, commissioning at least eight works from the artist. The inscription ‘Snap’, below the artist’s signature and date, may have been added by a slightly later hand.
We are grateful to Richard Wills for his assistance in cataloguing this picture.