There are two makers of this name recorded working at this time, father and son. Samuel Snr. was apprenticed in 1672 to the well-known maker Edward Stanton, becoming free of the Clockmaker's Company in 1680 when he was known to be working in Grub Street, London. His son Samuel Jnr. was apprenticed in 1699 and was a member of the Clockmaker's Company from 1706 until 1718.