A FINE WILLIAM III SILVER-GILT CASKET
PROPERTY OF A GENTLEMAN
A FINE WILLIAM III SILVER-GILT CASKET

MARK OF JOHN BODINGTON, LONDON, 1701

Details
A FINE WILLIAM III SILVER-GILT CASKET
MARK OF JOHN BODINGTON, LONDON, 1701
Rectangular, on four gadrooned circular feet, with gadrooned borders, the domed cover with gadrooned central panel centering an engraved coat-of-arms within leaf and scalework cartouche contained in a compass scribe, with scratch weight 50 = 12, marked on body and under cover
10 in. (26.8 cm.) long; 51 oz. (1,590 gr.)
Provenance
Christie's, London, 14 February 1923, lot 56
Miss Faith Moore (d.1944), daughter of John G. Moore, founder of the brokerage firm of Moore and Schley, New York
Sotheby's, London, 20 June 1974, lot 86
with S. J. Shrubsole, New York
Christie's, New York, 19 October 2004, lot 1081
Literature
Vanessa Brett, The Sotheby's Directory of Silver, 1600-1940, 1986, illus. p. 151, no. 569.
Exhibited
London, 25 Park Lane, W.1, Loan Exhibition of Old English Plate, 1929, part of no. 345, (lent by Miss Faith Moore).

If you wish to view the condition report of this lot, please sign in to your account.

Sign in
View condition report

Lot Essay

The arms are those of Master impaling Legh for Sir John Streynsham Master (1640-1724) and his wife Elizabeth Legh. Sir John Master was the eighth son of Richard Master of East Langdon, Kent and his wife, Anne, eldest daughter of Sir John Oxenden of Dene, Kent. The Masters and Oxendens were established Kent families who were involved from an early stage with the East India Company.

Sir John Master entered the Company's service in 1659 and in 1670 successfully defended Suratt against Sevagee and his army with a small garrison. In 1675, he was appointed to the Governorship of Madras and during his office greatly extended the Company's trade and founded the Fort Church of St. Mary's at Madras, the first English Church in India. He married first Diana, daughter of Sir Thomas Bendyshe of Brumsted, Essex, in 1672 and secondly he married Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Legh of Lyme, Cheshire. In 1692, Master purchased the Codnor Park estate in Derbyshire and held prominent positions in that area, including High Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1711.

A pair of silver-gilt two-handled covered bowls and a pin cushion from the same toilet service, also by John Bodington, 1699 and 1700, sold Christie's, London, 24 November 1971, lot 48 and 17 November 2009, lot 231.
;

More from Important English, Continental and American Silver and Gold

View All
View All