Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
Paul Klee (1879-1940)
PROPERTY FROM AN IMPORTANT COLLECTION 
Paul Klee (1879-1940)

Zerstörtes Dorf (recto); Ohne Titel (verso)

Details
Paul Klee (1879-1940)
Zerstörtes Dorf (recto); Ohne Titel (verso)
signed, dated and numbered 'Klee 1920/130’ (upper center); signed again twice, dated and titled 'Klee 1908 Klee Zerstörtes Dorf 1910' (on the verso)
oil on board
12 x 10 in. (30.4 x 25.3 cm.)
Painted in 1920 (recto); Painted in 1908-1910 (verso)
Provenance
Rolf and Catherine E. Bürgi, Bern (by 1954).
Galerie Beyeler, Basel (acquired from the estate of the above, 1986).
Acquired from the above by the present owner, 1988.
Literature
W. Grohmann, Paul Klee, New York, 1954, p. 412, no. 138 (recto illustrated, p. 390, no. 51).
C. Lanchner, ed., Paul Klee, exh. cat., The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1987, p. 326 (recto illustrated in situ).
The Paul Klee Foundation, ed., Paul Klee, Catalogue raisonné, Bern, 1999, vol. 3, p. 220, no. 2475 (recto illustrated).
C. Hopfengart and M. Baumgartner, Paul Klee: Life and Work, Bern, 2012, p. 99 (recto illustrated in situ).
Exhibited
Kunstmuseum Bern, Paul Klee: Ausstellung in Verbindung mit der Paul Klee-Stiftung, August-November 1956, no. 437.
Munich, Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus, Paul Klee: das Frühwerk, 1883-1922, December 1979-March 1980, p. 518, no. 428 (recto illustrated).
Basel, Galerie Beyeler, Landschaften und Horizonte, October-December 1987, no. 25 (recto illustrated in color).
Sale room notice
Please note this work’s verso is signed again twice, dated and titled 'Klee 1908 Klee Zerstörtes Dorf 1910' and was painted in 1908-1910.

Brought to you by

Brooke Lampley
Brooke Lampley

Lot Essay

Dr. Michael Baumgartner from Zentrum Paul Klee, Bern has confirmed that the verso of this work is by the hand of Paul Klee and that it was possibly painted circa 1910.

Klee painted this hillside townscape, at once whimsical and haunting, in 1920, the year in which he achieved his first real measure of fame. In October 1919, he had signed a three-year contract with the well-established avant-garde dealer Hans Goltz; the following spring, Goltz mounted a retrospective of more than 350 of Klee’s paintings, drawings, and etchings, which represented something of a sensation in Munich. Soon after, three monographs on Klee were published, and the artist’s own statement of his expressive aims appeared in the anthology Creative Credo. Finally, in November 1920, Klee received an invitation from Walter Gropius to join the faculty of the newly founded Bauhaus in Weimar. He left Munich two months later to join this exacting community of artists, architects, craftsmen, and designers.
“The year 1920 marked the first high point of Klee’s career,” Christine Hopfengart and Michael Baumgartner have written. “After the self-questioning during his time in Bern and the financial hardships and initial disappointments in Munich, this breakthrough signified the definitive end of an exhausting lean period. He himself spoke of the ‘long years of ice’ that had at last melted away” (op. cit., 2012, p. 100).
A key aspect of Klee’s art at this time was the creative exploration and reinterpretation of architectural forms. “Everywhere I see only architecture, linear rhythms, planar rhythms,” he wrote in his diary (quoted in The Klee Universe, exh. cat., Neue Nationalgalerie, Berlin, 2008, p. 231). In Zerstörtes Dorf (Destroyed Village), Klee has depicted a cluster of pared-down, rectilinear structures (not unlike the actual buildings of the Bauhaus), which slant and skew as though threatening to collapse, reflecting the artist’s fascination with processes of change and metamorphosis. The angles of the buildings are echoed in the sloping lines of the enveloping landscape, suggesting a unity of natural and man-made forms, while the dominant browns and reds of the painting are the colors of autumn, the season of decline. Although the candle near the center of the canvas has been extinguished, the painting continues to glow with a diffuse and mysterious white light. “Klee causes real architectural forms to collide with invented or symbolic elements, mixing the familiar with the visionary and space with dream,” Christina Thomson has explained. “The result is fantastical cities, dream worlds that fuse into a singularly dynamic architectural cosmos: nothing is rigid and purely geometric; everything pulsates, swells, flows, hovers, or glows” (ibid., pp. 231-232).
Klee gave the present canvas (which, intriguingly, has an earlier painting by Klee of a female figure on the verso) a prominent place in a photograph of his Munich studio that he took in 1920, featuring a crowded display of his most recent oil paintings. “The photograph conveys an image of industrious seclusion and playful imagination,” Hopfengart and Baumgartner have noted, “telling – not without some pride – of the successful construction of an artist’s life” (op. cit., 2012, p. 98).
This painting previously belonged to Rolf Bürgi, a close friend and advisor to the Klee family, whose mother Hanni had been the artist’s most enduringly loyal collector. Rolf Bürgi was instrumental in facilitating Klee and his wife Lily’s emigration from Nazi Germany in 1933, and after the artist’s death he administered his estate, preventing its dispersal as German war spoils and establishing the Paul Klee Foundation.

Fig:
Klee’s studio in Suresnes Castle, Munich, 1920, with Zerstörtes Dorf at the bottom right on the wall of paintings. Photograph by Klee.

More from Impressionist and Modern Evening Sale Including Property from the John C. Whitehead Collection

View All
View All