SUITE DE QUATRE SALIÈRES EN ARGENT D’ÉPOQUE CHARLES II
SUITE DE QUATRE SALIÈRES EN ARGENT D’ÉPOQUE CHARLES II
SUITE DE QUATRE SALIÈRES EN ARGENT D’ÉPOQUE CHARLES II
1 plus
SUITE DE QUATRE SALIÈRES EN ARGENT D’ÉPOQUE CHARLES II
4 plus
CADEAU À LA CORPORATION DES PEINTRES ET COLORISTES DE LONDRES
SUITE DE QUATRE SALIÈRES EN ARGENT D’ÉPOQUE CHARLES II

PAR CHRISTOPHER SHAW, LONDRES, 1662

Details
SUITE DE QUATRE SALIÈRES EN ARGENT D’ÉPOQUE CHARLES II
PAR CHRISTOPHER SHAW, LONDRES, 1662
De forme quadrilobée appliquée de quatre poignées en double enroulement, gravée sur les côtés d’une armoirie et sur les plateaux et les fonds d’une inscription, poinçons: ville, titre, lettre-date (E) et maître-orfèvre; poinçon de contrôle français postérieur
L. 10 cm. (4 in.)
280 gr. (9 oz.)
Les armoiries sont celles de The Worshipful Company of Painters Stainers.
L'inscription est: James Heames his guift' and on the underside '12 of these was the guift of James Heames twise Warden on an .. Do 1662.'
Provenance
Cadeau de James Heames, Master of the Worshipful Company of Painter-Stainers in 1662 ;
S. J. Phillips, Ltd, Londres, 139 New Bond Street;
Acquis auprès de celui-ci par George Ortiz (1927-2013), le 11 octobre 1966;
Puis par descendance.
Literature
W. Hayward Pitman, ‘The Painter-Stainers’ Company: Its Hall, Pictures, and Plate’, Transactions of the London and Middlesex Archaeological Society, London, 1910, vol. II, part I, p. 82, illustrated.
Sir Charles Jackson, An Illustrated History of English Plate, Ecclesiastical and Secular, London, 1911, vol. II, p. 367, fig. 780.
G. Woodyatt Hastings, The Guilds of the City of London and Their Liverymen, London, 1911, p. 174.
W. Hayward Pitman, The Worshipful Company of Painters, otherwise Painter-Stainers, Its Hall, Pictures, and Plate, London, 1913, p. 79.
C. Oman, Catalogue of the Exhibition of the Historic Plate of the City of London, London.
I. Untermyer and Y. Hackenbroch, English and Other Silver in the Irwin Untermyer Collection, New York, 1969, p. xxi, no. 45.
The British Antique Dealers' Association Golden Jubilee Exhibition, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, May 1968, no. 42, plate 24.
C. Oman, Caroline Silver, London, 1970, p. 49, fig. 500.
Y. Hackenbroch, Highlights of the Untermyer Collection of English and Continental Decorative Arts, New York, 1977, p. 27, no. 18.
M. Clayton, The Collector's Dictionary of the Silver and Gold of Great Britain and North America, Woodbridge, 1985, p. 311.
E. Alcorn, English Silver in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Boston, 1993, p. 129.
C. Hartop, Geometry and the Silversmith : the Domcha Collection, Cambridge, 2008, p. 30.
Exhibited
London, The Goldsmiths’ Hall, Catalogue of the Exhibition of the Historic Plate of the City of London, 1951.
Further details
FOUR CHARLES II SILVER SALT-CELLARS MARK OF CHRISTOPHER SHAW, LONDON, 1662

Each of quatrefoil shape applied with four scroll handles, engraved on the sides twice with the arms of the Worshfipful Company of Painter-Stainers and on the upper sides and undersides with the inscription 'James Heames his guift' and on the underside '12 of these was the guift of James Heames twise Warden on an .. Do 1662.', fully marked and with later French control mark

These salt cellars were part of a set of twelve presented by James Heames to the Painter-Stainers' Company in 1662, where they remained until the mid-twentieth century. In the same year, Heames also donated to the Company a set of twelve silver wine cups bearing the same inscription and the arms of the Company. Six salt cellars from this set are now in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (Object Nos. 68.141.181–.186).

The Worshipful Company of Painter-Stainers, of which James Heames was 2nd Warden and later Master, was one of the many London Guilds that evolved during the Middle Ages. They protected trades, regulated competition and maintained professional standards. As early as before 1283, artists joined together to form a “Paynters” Guild.

The members of the Painters’ Company or guild decorated, gilded and coloured solid ornamental work in wood, metal and stone. In addition they painted portraits, banners and ceremonial barges. They were also responsible for the painting of murals on walls of grand buildings and churches. The earliest known portrait of an English king was created by Gilbert Prynce, a member of the Company. His panel painting of King Richard II painted in 1394 is preserved in Westminster Abbey.

The Stainers’ Company were responsible for the decorative designs required for pageants, processions, funerals and other ceremonial events. They created flags, banners and even imitation tapestries. They formed their Guild in circa 1400. The two Companies were unified in 1502 and received their Royal Charter in 1581. During the Tudor and Stuart period almost any artist of note was a member of the Company. Hans Holbein was excluded from joining the Company as a foreigner but was able to work through Royal patronage.

James Heames and his brother Thomas were both members of the Company. James is recorded as marrying a Miss Mary Hale in the parish of St Martin in the Fields on the 10 May 1642. The ceremony took place in the medieval Saint Antholin’s Church on Budge Row, which was later destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. Rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren the second church was demolished in 1875 for the construction of Queen Victoria Street.

Sadly Mary must have died young, perhaps in childbirth, as a second marriage to Frances Hasepoole on 8 May 1645 is recorded in the parish records of the Church of St Mary Magdalene, Milk Street, in the City of London. Also destroyed in the Great Fire, this church was not rebuilt and the site became a market. James Heames remained married to Frances until his death in 1679⁄80. He left his entire estate to his “deare [sic.] and loving wife Frances” with the bequest of £100 to their only child Sarah.

Présenté par

Paul Gallois
Paul Gallois Head of European Furniture, EMEA

Descriptif du lot

Ces salières qui étaient au nombre de douze furent offertes par James Heames en 1662 à la Company of Painter-Stainers qui les garda jusqu’au milieu du XXᵉ siècle. La même année, il fit aussi don à la Company d’une douzaine de tasses à vin en argent portant la même inscription et les armoiries de la corporation. Six de cet ensemble de douze sont aujourd’hui conservées au Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (Object Number: 68.141.181–.186).

La Worshipful Company of Painter-Stainers, dont James Heames fut successivement deuxième Warden (second gardien) puis Master (maître), est l'une des nombreuses corporations londoniennes (Livery Companies) héritées du Moyen Âge. Ces guildes avaient pour mission de protéger les métiers, de réglementer la concurrence et de garantir la qualité des productions. Dès avant 1283, les peintres s'étaient regroupés au sein d'une corporation connue sous le nom de « Paynters » Guild.
Les membres de la Painters' Company étaient chargés de peindre ou dorer les ouvrages décoratifs en bois, métal et pierre. Ils réalisaient également des portraits, des bannières, des décors de barges cérémonielles ainsi que les peintures murales ornant les demeures prestigieuses et les églises. Le plus ancien portrait connu d'un souverain anglais est l'œuvre de Gilbert Prynce, membre de la compagnie : son portrait sur panneau du roi Richard II, peint en 1394, est aujourd'hui conservé à l'abbaye de Westminster.
La Stainers' Company était spécialisée dans les décors destinés aux cortèges, processions, funérailles et autres cérémonies publiques. Elle produisait des drapeaux, des bannières ainsi que des tentures imitant la tapisserie. Constituée vers 1400, elle fusionna avec la corporation des peintres en 1502 ; l'ensemble reçut une charte royale en 1581. Aux époques Tudor et Stuart, la plupart des artistes anglais de renom appartenaient à cette compagnie. Seul Hans Holbein, en raison de son statut d'étranger, ne put y être admis et travailla sous la protection directe de la Cour.

James Heames et son frère Thomas Heames furent tous deux membres de la corporation. James épousa Mary Hale le 10 mai 1642 dans la paroisse de St Martin-in-the-Fields. La cérémonie fut célébrée dans l'église médiévale de Saint Antholin, sur Budge Row, détruite lors du Grand Incendie de Londres en 1666. Reconstruite par Sir Christopher Wren, elle fut finalement démolie en 1875 lors du percement de Queen Victoria Street.
Mary étant vraisemblablement décédée peu après, peut-être des suites d'un accouchement, James se remaria avec Frances Hasepoole le 8 mai 1645, dans l'église St Mary Magdalene, Milk Street, au cœur de la Cité de Londres. Cette église fut elle aussi détruite lors du Grand Incendie et ne fut jamais reconstruite ; son emplacement fut ensuite transformé en marché. James Heames demeura marié à Frances jusqu'à sa mort, en 1679 ou 1680. Par son testament, il légua l'ensemble de ses biens à sa « très chère et bien-aimée épouse Frances », ne réservant qu'un legs de 100 livres sterling à leur fille unique, Sarah.

En savoir plus sur Graziella Patiño de Ortiz Linares Collection - Evening sale

View All
View All