Lot Content

COVID-19 Important notice Read More
A PAIR OF ORMOLU-MOUNTED SWEDISH PORPHYRY (SVART BLYBERG) CAMPANA URNS

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
A PAIR OF ORMOLU-MOUNTED SWEDISH PORPHYRY (SVART BLYBERG) CAMPANA URNS

THE PORPHYRY FIRST HALF 19TH CENTURY, THE MOUNTS 19TH CENTURY

Details
A PAIR OF ORMOLU-MOUNTED SWEDISH PORPHYRY (SVART BLYBERG) CAMPANA URNS The porphyry first half 19th Century, the mounts 19th Century Each with beaded and leaf-wrapped lip, with ram's mask to each side, the underside with upspringing leaves, on a turned waisted socle and leaf-wreathed plinth and square base 14 in. (35.5 cm.) high (2)
Special Notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.

Lot Essay

A porphyry vase of identical design but without mounts stands in Prince Frederik Adolf's Anteroom in the Royal Palace, Stockholm (H. Groth, Neoclassicism in the North, London, 1990, p. 23).

The valley of Älvdalen (Elfdal) and its bordering parishes in Sweden appear to have been the only serious European mining sources for porphyry in the late 18th and early 19th Centuries. Mining started in the 1780's and the works were acquired by Charles XIV, the first of the Bernadotte Kings of Sweden, with the intention of introducing the splendour of the French Empire style to Sweden. During this time many porphyry objects were distributed throughout Europe as diplomatic presents executed in a variety of types of porphyry. An inventory prepared for the Mining Intendance at Stockholm at the beginning of the 19th Century lists at least twenty-two. Two of this variety are properly categorized as granitelle, the remaining twenty are named after the parishes of Älvdalen from where they were quarried: Blyberg, Dysberg, Bredvad, Orrlok, Klitt, etc. (see H. Sundblom and I. Tunander, Porphyre-La Pierre Royale, 1990, p. 2). The Älvdalen works were sold by the Royal Family in 1856 and were destroyed by fire ten years later. Subsequent production was sporadic and limited.

;

More From Important European Furniture,Tapestries, Carpets & Porcelain

View All
View All