A native of Steinbach, Germany, Diehl (d. 1885) settled in Paris in 1840. He established a large atelier at 39, rue Saint-Sébastien, where by 1870 he employed no less than 600 craftsmen. Diehl simultaneously manufactured all kinds of coffrets - liquor cabinets, games boxes, jewellery caskets - as well as small furnishings - lady's work tables, games tables and meubles de marriage. His production included both ordinary pieces and deluxe objects, among them those executed especially for the various international exhibitions. Various pieces by Diehl are in the Musée d'Orsay, Paris, the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, the Musée de l'Ecole de Nancy and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
A related cedar cabinet-on-stand was offered Sotheby's, Paris, 23 March 2006, lot 126, and another, in mahogany, sold Sotheby's, London, 8 June 2005 lot 75.