A native of Steinbach, Germany, Diehl (d.1885) settled in Paris in 1840. He established a large atelier at 39, rue Saint-Sebastien, where by 1870 he employed no less than six hundred craftsmen. Diehl manufactured all kinds of coffrets - liqueur cabinets, games boxes, jewellery caskets - as well as small furnishings - lady's work tables, games tables and meubles de mariage. His production included both standard pieces and deluxe objects, among them those executed especially for the various international exhibitions. Diehl participated in all the major international exhibitions during the middle of the 19th century commencing with the Great Exhibition in 1851. Various pieces by Diehl are in the Musé d'Orsay, Paris, the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, the Musé de l'Ecole de Nancy, Nancy and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
Another cigar cabinet signed by Diehl, of similar proportions, is in the collections of the Musé de la Seita, Paris, No. 696.